Jean-Marc Loubier, former top executive of LVMH, acquired Belgian bags brand Delvaux in 2011 with other partners.
The brand revenues were around 10 million euros and the sales were 97% located in Belgium.
Eight years later the brand turnover is between 100 and 200 million euros and 90% of it is outside the mother country.
An amazing success story for a brand founded in 1829.
Loubier explained in an interview the golden rules of this relaunch:
– Opening of 32 stores worldwide in a few years. Every store has a unique design
– Retail driven distribution strategy guarantees the right level of control
– Magic mix of savoir faire and strong creativity
– “We like people to know we are Belgian. We are nourished by our heritage and culture”
– Made in Belgium and in France
– “We are not in fashion but we play fashion”
– “We are classic. Classic means that which allows you to express yourself in the long term”
A great business lesson.